SOUTHLANDS COUNtRY FAIR
Sunday, September 17th, 2017 from 10:00 am to 5:00 pm
Entry by donation at the Gate --- Rain-or-Shine Event
(most events ARE under cover in case of rain)
For Information Contact:
Pippa Emrick, Fair Coordinator at 604-351-5522 or email@example.com
the Southlands Country Fair is A community event focused on horses and rural lifestyle within the city of Vancouver.
The fair was created to showcase the unique equestrian neighbourhood of Southlands and to give all Vancouver residents an opportunity to enjoy a day in the country without leaving the city.
Who comes to the Country Fair? Several thousand people attend the Country Fair every year. Young and old alike return year after year for this unique event.
What can you do at the Country Fair? There are activities for all ages, all day long. Shopping, learning, petting animals, riding ponies, playing games, and watching horses and riders perform ... you will be entertained from the moment you enter the gates. Specific attractions include:
- Horse entertainment featuring Southlands Riding Club members
- Pony rides and hay rides
- Farm Yard Fun area (old-fashioned, country-themed activities for kids)
- Vendors market for those who love to shop for local arts and crafts
- Silent auction
- Used book sale
- Petting farm full of animals for the kids to meet
- Lots of great food and a pleasant picnic area
- Day-long musical entertainment featuring local artists
- And much more!
What does it cost to come to the Country Fair? Entry to the Fair grounds is by donation. We suggest $5...but it is up to you. Once inside the grounds, there are plenty of FREE activities for children and adults. Some activities, such as the pony rides, games and amusements, and the petting farm require a small fee of $1- $5.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
- Are dog allowed? Yes, but they must be on a non-retractable leash
- Is this an accessible event? Yes, the grounds are wheelchair accessible
- Is there a cost for all activities? No - there are lots of free activities
- Is there a "rain date"? No - the day runs rain or shine
- What is done with the Country Fair proceeds? A portion of profits from the Fair is donated to the Southlands Riding Club Rescue and Rehabilitation Program. Remaining proceed support the Southlands Riding Club, a non-profit society established in 1943 as a recreational and training facility for junior and amateur equestrian athletes.
More questions or comments? Contact us at SouthlandsCountryFair@gmail.com
There are lots of ways to get involved with the Fair! Contact us at SouthlandsCountryFair@gmail.com to be put in touch with the right individual at Southlands.
Country Fair Volunteers
Country Fair would not be the success that it is without its dedicated volunteers. Every year we require about 250 volunteers. The majority of these people are Southlands Riding Club and Vancouver Pony Club members. However, we're always looking to expand our volunteer base.
You can volunteer for the whole day, a half day, or for a 2-hour shift. All volunteers participating for more than 2 hours receive a Country Fair t-shirt as well as free snacks and lunch.
If you would like to be a Country Fair volunteer please contact SouthlandsCountryFair@gmail.com
The annual Country Fair Book Sale offers some great bargains! If you would like to donate items to the book sale you may drop them off at the Southlands Riding Club Clubhouse (in the foyer if the clubhouse is locked). The Book Sale will take your surplus books **PLEASE NO CDs, DVDs or TAPES**
The Silent Auction is a great way to promote local businesses. It takes place on site during the Fair. You'll find amazing deals at the Silent Auction - check back for a list of items closer to the Fair.
We are always looking for unique items for the auction, and this year we're also hoping for donations of "opportunities", such as trail rides, private tours of art galleries, aquariums, or race tracks, or the chance to stay at your vacation cabin. So if you have any ideas, have items you would like to donate, or know of a business that would like to donate please contact us at SouthlandsCountryFair@gmail.com.
One of the Fair's biggest draws is the Pony Rides. In the past we have had problems with looooong line ups, but we think we have figured out how to avoid that this year, with the introduction of "sign up time slots". When you arrive at the Fair you can go straight to the Pony Rides, put your name down, and you will be given a time to come back for your pony ride. You can then go and enjoy the fair and report back at your given time. A pony ride is 3 tickets = $5.00